Wondering if it is possible to find your soul mate online through a dating service? The answer is Yes.
The easy access to the Internet has made Online Dating a popular option for many. It also has its own distinct advantages over the traditional methods of dating. It’s especially a boon to people who are either very shy or very busy.
Online Dating offers the advantage of getting to know the person before you have so much as exchanged a word (or should we say an email.) By just going through their profiles, you can get an idea of their hobbies and cultural preferences – the kind of information that you would normally find out after a few dates.
There are hundreds of examples of people who met through online dating services, built strong friendship bonds that in many cases translated in a strong foundation for their married lives.
But there are always two sides to any coin. The same reasons that make Online Dating so popular can also as easily turn it into a nightmarish experience.
Thus, if you are thinking of joining an Online Dating Service, you need to carefully consider both its Advantages and Disadvantages.
- The person on the other end is a complete stranger. Though that is also true for someone you might meet at your local bar or club, it is easier to keep up pretences online than when you are face-to-face. One option to deal with this is to use webcams, but you cannot force others to do the same and filtering out people not using webcams would limit your options a lot, which is not desirable. Also, even with webcams, it is not always easy to understand their body language well.
- Though most online dating services allow members to upload their pictures, it still does not always give you a clear idea of their looks. Also, at times you may find that the photographs have been manipulated, that is, they may upload their old photographs which do not bear much resemblance to them now, or even use someone else’s photographs.
- Inaccurate information regarding their age, educational qualification and even marital status may be given by some people.
- The Internet provides a cloak of anonymity to everyone, in the sense that a person can choose what and how much to reveal themselves. While this may be a good thing from your personal security point of view, it also means that there are a lot of online sexual predators out there. Minors are especially susceptible to these – Parents are advised to monitor the online habits of their children at all times, and advise them on the precautions to be taken while dating online.
- You may need to travel to another city, state, or country to meet someone. In such a case, you’ll need to consider if relocation is a viable option - sometimes even before you have first met the person. However, this difficulty can be overcome by selecting location preferences while searching the database for your prospective date.
Caution: It is better to use a reputed Online Dating Service. Not only will they have more quality singles but also the advantages will far outweigh the disadvantages.
- Online Dating sites provide you with the opportunity to get to know people from across the globe. Thus, your search isn’t limited to your local clubs and restaurants and longer and you can find people with the same interests, priorities, lifestyle, and background.
- It is also far safer to meet a prospective date online than to meet someone at a bar or club. Online Dating sites safeguard the identity of their members. Thus, you have the option to decide what information you want to reveal, when and to whom.
- Age isn’t a pre-requisite. You can be 20 or 70 – online dating services are designed to meet the needs of each age group. Similarly, your ethnic group or religious preferences need not be a hindrance in your quest for a soul mate.
- You need not Dress Up to impress your date. Instead, you can relax in your favorite pair of PJs with a cup of coffee while carrying on a conversation online. This is especially a boon for people with busy schedules who otherwise do not have the time and energy required by the traditional concept of dating.
- People who are shy or nervous in the presence of the opposite sex can find that sending a message online is far easier than approaching them personally. Similarly, people with a negative body-image about themselves find that they are more comfortable dating online as the emphasis is more on getting to know the person behind the face.
- Generally 2 people will start communicating through emails, move on to phone conversations and get comfortable with each other before they meet up for their first date. It means that there are no awkward pauses or nasty surprises in store and you can take your own time with a relationship without running the risk of hurting anyone.
- The Cost Factor can be considered to be the biggest advantage of using Online Dating Services. The average cost for accessing thousands of profiles that match your preferences at your convenience is a meager 20-25$ per month. A lot of reputed Web sites also offer their services for free.
Author - Banashree Chatterjee
If you are new to this site - Lets101 is a FREE online Dating Network where we continuously help members to get the right date through our personality matching programs, email introductions and facilitating talk over phone without revealing phone numbers. Before reading this article you may like to quickly glance through How Lets101 Works